RUSSIAN CULTURE NEWS
_______________ News.museum.ru _________________________
Edition N 196                        Novermber 6, 2001
Number of subscribers 1721           issued from October 1997
______________________________________________________

-= CONTENTS =-

1. Exhibition of Russian Author's Decorative Arms
2. The Bolins' Court Jewelers
3. Artistic Heritage of Karelia
4. Maxim Kantor's Outlook Formula
5. Sjiadu Museum in the Museum by name of A.S. Pushkin
6. Treasures of Vladimir Land
7. Masterpieces of Russian Wooden Architecture
8. Sculpture Made of Home Implements
9. Art of 1917 - 1932
10. Trading Center "Nail" is accepted in deposit
11. The Destiny of a collection
12. Golden Deer of Eurasia


-= 1 =-
Exhibition of Russian Author's Decorative Arms
State Historic and Cultural Reserve Museum "Moscow Kremlin" invites you to
visit the exhibition "Russian Blades - 2001. Author's Decorative Arms" which
will be taking place since November, 9, up to December, 12, 2001. It is
already the fourth exhibition in the oldest museum of Russia to present
works by modern masters of decorative arms. Among the well-known arms
exhibitions the Kremlin ones are first of all notable for the quality of the
exhibits. The participants and organizers of the "Russian Blades" have made
it their task to show the audience the great variety of trends and
individual styles of modern armourers and their creative activities. Each
amourer (this time there will be over sixty of them), after consulting the
museum specialists, will exhibit only one of his works made in 2001, that is
the one he himself considers the best during this period of time.

The State Historical and Cultural Museum "Moscow Kremlin"
Addres: Moscow, Kremlin
Direction: Any of the following metro stations: Biblioteka im. Lenina,
Alexsandrovskii Sad, Borovitskaya, Arbatskaya, Teatralnaya, Ploshad
Revolutsii, Okhotny Ryad
Phones: (095) 202-3776, 202-4256
E-mail: dream@kremlin.museum.ru


-= 2 =-
The Bolins' Court Jewelers
An exhibition called "Bolin in Russia. Court Jeweler of late XIX - early XX
Centuries" has been opened in the Exhibition Hall of Uspenskaya Belfry. The
exposition gives one a chance to get to know the Bolin Family's creative
work. The exposition is timed to the official visit of His Majesty Karl
Gustav XVI, King of Sweden, Silvia, Queen of Sweden and Crown-princess
Victoria. For two centuries the owners of the famous enterprise had been
court jewelers of six Russian emperors and then those of Swedish monarchs.
The "Bolin" firm is of special significance in the history of national
jeweller's art as the oldest enterprise of the Russian Empire. A catalogue
of the exposition with articles of Russian and foreign research scholars and
unique archive materials has been timed to the opening of the exhibition.
More than 400 exhibits are presented in the exposition - beginning with
masterpieces of jeweller's art and up to silver ware of the "Bolin" firm the
name of which has become a symbol of most refined art, luxury and grandeur.
The exhibition will last until January, 17.

The State Historical and Cultural Museum "Moscow Kremlin"
Addres: Moscow, Kremlin
Direction: Any of the following metro stations: Biblioteka im. Lenina,
Alexsandrovskii Sad, Borovitskaya, Arbatskaya, Teatralnaya, Ploshad
Revolutsii, Okhotny Ryad
Phones: (095) 202-3776, 202-4256
E-mail: dream@kremlin.museum.ru


-= 3 =-
Artistic Heritage of Karelia
From November, 6, up to December, 9, 2001, an exhibition of the project
"Golden Map of Russia" will be open at the Tretyakov Art Gallery. The
exhibition "Artistic Heritage of Karelia" will be demonstrated to the Moscow
audience by the Museum of Fine Arts of Republic of Karelia (Petrozavodsk
city). The exposition brought to Moscow may be described as a kind of
publication dedicated to the main spheres of collecting and research
activities of the Museum. The specialists and the audience will see over 170
works of art among which there are a lot of well-known and really unique
ones. A special unit of the exposition is devoted to one of the memorials of
world culture - Karelian and Finnish epic poem "Kalevala". Artistic Heritage
of Karelia presented at the exhibition by the collection of works from the
Museum of Fine Arts of Republic of Karelia is an essential part of Russian
culture and will occupy a worthy place on the "Golden Map of Russia".

The State Tretyakov Gallery
Addres: Moscow, 10, Lavrushinskii Peryulok
Direction: Metro stations: 'Tretyakovskaya' or 'Novokuznetskaya'
Phones: (095) 953-5223
URL: http://www.tretyakov.ru/

-= 4 =-
Maxim Kantor's Outlook Formula
State Tretyakov Art Gallery invites visitors to Maxim Kantor's exhibition
"Waste Ground. Atlas" where you can get aquatinted with the artist's
paintings, engravings and writings. The exhibition in the Tretyakov Art
Gallery is the first show of the artist's new works after 1997, when he
represented his country at Venice Biennial, afterwards his personal
exhibition will be opened in the halls of the Museum of Private collections
in the State Museum of Fine Arts by name of A.S. Pushkin. The exhibition
"Waste Ground. Atlas" consists of three interdependent and at the same time
separate units. They are 16 big pictures, 70 etchings and 120 pages of the
author's text in the catalogue-book of the exhibition. Those texts are seven
large letters addressed to the "Beloved" who lives in Russia and the "Dear
Friend", a European. In September and October the exhibition took place in
Shtedel-Museum (Frankfort) and Culturjest-Museum (Lisboan). Then the
exhibition will move to twelve museums of Russia and a number of well-known
Museums of Europe and America as well. You will be able to see the
exhibition until November, 18, 2001.

The State Tretyakov Gallery
Addres: Moscow, 10, Lavrushinskii Peryulok
Direction: Metro stations: 'Tretyakovskaya' or 'Novokuznetskaya'
Phones: (095) 953-5223
URL: http://www.tretyakov.ru/


-= 5 =-
Sjiadu Museum in the Museum by name of A.S. Pushkin
The Ministry of Culture of Russian Federation, State Museum of Fine Arts by
name of A.S. Pushkin and Sjiadu Museum (Lisboan) with the support of the
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Portugal are presenting the exhibition
"Amadeu de Souza-Kardozu. The Portuguese modernist". The exhibition is being
held in connection with state visit of Mr. Gorge Sampaiju, President of
Portuguese Republic to Russian Federation. The exhibition of works of Amadeu
de Souza-Kardozu from state and private collections of Portugal, is for the
first time demonstrating to Russian audience the creative work of the
well-known master whose individual style is associated with innovation
tendencies in the art of that country of early XX century. Amadeu's heredity
had been little known even in Portugal itself for a long time. The master
gained acknowledgment only in the middle of XX century, and today the
significance of his creative work within the boundaries of European
countries, its specific features are being attentively studied not only in
Portugal, but in the whole world. The exhibition is working since October,
27 till November, 18, 2001.

The Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts
Addres: Moscow, 12, Ulitsa Volkchonka
Direction: metro station 'Kropotinskaya'
Phones: (095) 203-9578, 203-7998, 203-7412
URL: www.museum.ru/gmii
E-mail: finearts@gmii.museum.ru


-= 6 =-
Treasures of Vladimir Land
The exhibition "Treasures of Vladimir Land" will be opened in Pokrovsky
Cathedral (Temple of Vasily the Blessed) on November, 6. The exhibition
continues the series "Saved by Russian Monasteries" of State Historical
Museum in the sacristy of Pokrovsky Cathedral which presents relics of art
and history gathered and maintained by the greatest Russian monasteries.
Most valuable memorials from the seven famous monasteries of Vladimir and
Suzdal towns will be demonstrated in the sacristy of the Cathedral; they are
masterpieces of icon painting and decorative art, sewing, books and
manuscripts, church plate and canonicals. The exhibition will last until the
end of March, 2002.

Museum "Pokrovsky Cathedral". The Cathedral of the Intercession of the Holy
Virgin (St.Basil's Cathedral)
Addres: Moscow, Red square, 2
Direction: Metro Stations: Ploshad Revolytsii, Okhotny Ryad, Kitai-gorod
Phones: (095) 298-3304


-= 7 =-
Masterpieces of Russian Wooden Architecture
The exhibition of memorials of wooden architecture called "Vanishing Russian
Masterpieces" has been opened in the Center of Cultural and Business
Cooperation "White Chambers in Prechistenka". The organizers had wished to
show not only the unique features of Russian wooden architecture, but also
the real menace of their destruction, to remind of the absence of effective
program of their preserving and restoration. The earliest of the surviving
memorials (a church in Leningrad district) dates back to 1493; they are
generally buildings of XVIII - XIX centuries. In the suburbs of Moscow only
memorials of XX century have survived: so quickly the destruction and ruin
of buildings are going on. Out of ten memorials of wooden architecture
included by UNESCO into the list of memorials of the world cultural
heritage, Russia is represented by only Preobrazhenskaya Church in Kizhi
dating back to 1714. The rest are memorials from Finland, Norway, Japan and
Romania. One of the purposes of the exhibition has been to draw the
attention of public, organizations and foundations at home and abroad to the
destiny of masterpieces of wooden architecture.

The Exibition Hall "White House on Prechistinka"
Addres: Moscow, Prechistinka st., 1
Phones: (095) 202-8495


-= 8 =-
Sculpture Made of Home Implements
An exhibition "Let us Smile Together" is open at "Izmailovo" exhibition
hall, these are sculptures made of home implements by Vladimir Agapov
(Moscow). Many-figured illuminated little scenes are presented at the
exhibition, they are somehow reminding of theatrical scale models, only
those are not models of decorations, but the ones of the action itself. The
stuff for the compositions is taken from anything at hand: wood, veneer,
foam plastic. The artist has peeped and taken his manifold and curious
images from the very life. There isn't a sort of material, sometimes quite
an incidental one, which wouldn't sparkle in the artist's hands. For
example, a composition called "Daring Fellows" where two foolhardy bikers on
the motorcycle have been made of ordinary, but "spiritual" forks, spoons and
a ladle, metallic lids and plugs; the "Ballet Dancer" is made of two
tea-spoons and 16 forks. The exhibition will be open until December, 1.

The Exhibition Hall and Museum "Izmaylovo" of Moscow Eastern District
Addres: Moscow, Izmaylovsky proezd, 4
Phones: (095) 166-1727


-= 9 =-
Art of 1917 - 1932
The Ministry of Culture of Russian Federation, State Central Museum of
Modern History of Russia, Russian Federal Archive Service and Russian State
Archive of Literature and Art invite you to the exhibition "Those who are
not with us are against us. Artistic life of 1917 - 1932". Unique
collections of original works of mass art (placard, photo, porcelain,
textile) demonstrate many aspects of artistic life of the 20s when the new
authorities managed to make representatives of all the spheres of creative
work serve revolutionary propaganda. There are a lot of placards here, among
them unique free-hand "Windows of ROSTA" (Russian Telegraph Agency). One can
see works by V. Mayiakovsky, V. Lebedev, M. Cheremnich, V. Deny here. The
collection of "propagandistic porcelain" includes works by such artists of
State (former Emperor's) Porcelain factory as S. Chekhonin, V. Kusnetsov, N.
Danko, N. Altman. Materials which are documentary evidence of decoration of
cities for revolution holidays celebrations are also part of the exposition;
one can see original banners of 1918 - 1922, models of monuments by V.
Tatlin and Mukhina. Works by such masters as E. Lisitsky and G. Klutsis are
included into the exhibition's section devoted to cinema and photography.
The exhibition will be open until November, 25, 2001.

State Museum of Contemporary Russian History
Addres: Moscow, 21, Tverskaya Street
Direction: Metro Stations: Pushkinskaya, Tverskaya, Chekhovskaya
Phones: (095) 299-5458, 299-6724
E-mail: 9055.g23@g23.relcom.ru


-= 10 =-
Trading Center "Nail" is accepted in deposit
A new exhibition "MUAR-PROJECT, Building N." is going to be opened in State
Scientific and Research Architectural Museum by name of A.V. Shusev. The
project started in 2001. It is a program of creating a collection of modern
architecture. Elena Gonsales, Nckolay Malinin and Grigory Revzin are
currently the experts of the program. Up to the present moment five
buildings have been included into the collection. Trading Center "Nail" will
be the sixth one accepted in deposit by the Architectural Museum. It has
been projected by the famous Moscow architectural Workshop "Ostojenka".
Trading Center "Nail"/Moscow, the end of Volokolamskoe highway/Architectural
Burro "Ostojenka"/Architects: A. Skokan, A. Yaralov, V. Mitenev, I.
Voronezhsky, V. Labutin, M. Skorokhod. The building's main characteristics,
in spite of a partial change of functions, follow the idea of the project.
It would be a matter of honor for the Workshop to bring the project to the
point of realization, and the museum's exposition is a memorial one. A
special unit of the exposition it devoted to showing the way from the first
project to the ready building where one can see the whole work at the
embodiment of Andrey Yaralov's conception.

The State Reseach Museum of Architecture named after A.B.Schusev
Addres: Moscow, 5, Vozdvizshenka str.
Phones: (095) 290-4855, 290-0551
URL: www.muar.ru
E-mail: muar@isa.ru, SCHUSEV@MUAR.RU


-= 11 =-
The Destiny of a collection
An exhibition "The Destiny of a collection. 500 Carved Stones from the Study
of Duke of Orleans" was opened on October, 30, in the Golden Drawing-room of
Zimny Palace. The exhibition continues a series of temporary expositions
devoted to famous European collections which has formed the basis of the
collection of the Hermitage. 500 gemmas dating back to IV B.C. - 'mid XVII
centuries which have formed one third of Dukes of Orleans' collection are
presented at the exposition. In 1787, at the order of Katherine the Second,
one and a half thousand gemmas of the family collection were bought in Paris
from Luis-Philip-Joseph-Orleans' (representatives of the youngest branch of
the French King's family). The purchasing by the Russian Empress of the
"Study of gemmas" which had been the national pride of France, even nowadays
is estimated as equal to buying the libraries of Voters and Didro by her,
too. The exhibition will be open until December, 2001.

The State Hermitage
Addres: Saint-Peterburg, 34-36, Dvortsovaya Nabarezhnaya
Direction: From "Nevsky Prospect" metro station, take any of the following:
bus 7, 10; tram 31; troll. 1, 7, 9, 10
Phones: (812) 311-3601, 110-9604, 110-9601
URL: http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/
E-mail: info@hermitage.ru


-= 12 =-
Golden Deer of Eurasia
The exhibition which was opened on October, 18, 2001, had been organized by
State Hermitage together with Ethnology Research Center of Scientific Center
of Ufa city, Russian Academy of Sciences with the support of Metropolitan
Museum, New-York, and Publishing-house "Elemond", Milan. 224 exhibits are
presented here, 13 of them are being exhibited for the first time. They are
wonderful discoveries found by the archeologists of Ufa guided by A.H.
Pshenechniuk during archeological dig of Phillipovsky burial mound in
Orenburg district at end '1980s which has caused a sensation in the
scientific circles. Unique archeological discoveries are the rarest in their
beauty and expressiveness works of art most of which are made of gold or
ornamented with golden details. They are being first shown to the general
public in Russia. The exhibition has already been a great success in
Metropolitan Museum, New-York, USA (2000) and Milan, Italy (2001). Many
objects found during archeological dig of burial mounds of ancient nomads
had been damaged and then regenerated thanks to the work of
artists-restorers of the State Hermitage. You can visit the exhibition until
January, 20, 2002.

The State Hermitage
Addres: Saint-Peterburg, 34-36, Dvortsovaya Nabarezhnaya
Direction: From "Nevsky Prospect" metro station, take any of the following:
bus 7, 10; tram 31; troll. 1, 7, 9, 10
Phones: (812) 311-3601, 110-9604, 110-9601
URL: http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/
E-mail: info@hermitage.ru
______________________________________________________

Translated by the ROID Translation Agency (http://www.roid.ru)
______________________________________________________
For use of any material of the Russian Culture News edition the reference
to resource (Russian Cultural Heritage Network http://www.museum.ru)
is imperatively needed.
______________________________________________________
Materials:
      send to news@museum.ru
      or by fax (7-095)135-3385
Subscription:
      empty message to rcn-list-subscribe@museum.ru
      to unsubscribe to send the same to rcn-list-unsubscribe@museum.ru
Contacts:
      E-Mail: mail@museum.ru
      phone/fax: (7-095)135-3385
      http://www.museum.ru
Copyright:
      http://www.rchn.org.ru/copyright.htm
______________________________________________________
() All rights reserved.1997-2001. Russian Cultural Heritage Network