RUSSIAN CULTURE NEWS
_______________ News.museum.ru _________________________
Edition N 192                                         September 11, 2001
Number of subscribers 1727                issued from October 1997
______________________________________________________


-= CONTENTS =-

1. Exhibition to the 40-th anniversary of consecration of Patriarchy
2. Traditions of Moscow hospitality
3. At the State Museum of Fine Arts by name of A.S. Pushkin
4. An exhibition of the collection of Russian art
5. A.M. Pozdneev's "Oriental collection"
6. Photo-exhibition "In the underwater kingdom"
7. William Broomfield. 30 years in Russia
8. Devoted to the 95-th anniversary of D. Nalbandian
9. Valeri Sirovsky's exhibition "Temple_City"
10. "Dead Epoch" by Eugeny Ukhanlev


-= 1 =-
Exhibition to the 40-th anniversary of consecration of Patriarchy
In the Cross Chamber of the Patriarchy Palace an exhibition called "Moscow
High Priests" has been opened. It is timed to the 40-th anniversary of
consecration (that is being ordained) the Apostolic Patriarchy of Moscow and
the whole Russia, Alexiy the Second. Sacred objects of the Orthodox Church
and Russian State, connected with the Metropolitans and Patriarchies of
XVI - XVII centuries saved in the Museums of Moscow Kremlin are exhibited
here. A special section of the exhibition is devoted to High Priests of the
Russian Orthodox Church of the XX century: Consecrator Tichon, Patriarchies
Segiy, Alexiy the First, Pimen and Alexiy the Second. Some of the memorials
have been produced for exposition from the Church-Archeological Cabinet of
the Moscow Clerical Academy and the Sacristy of His Holiness Patriarchy
Alexiy the Second. The exhibition was opened by Patriarchy of Moscow and the
whole Russia, Alexiy the Second.

The State Historical and Cultural Museum "Moscow Kremlin"
Addres: Moscow, Kremlin
Direction: Any of the following metro stations: Biblioteka im. Lenina,
Alexsandrovskii Sad, Borovitskaya, Arbatskaya, Teatralnaya, Ploshad
Revolutsii, Okhotny Ryad
Phones: (095) 202-3776, 202-4256
E-mail: dream@kremlin.museum.ru


-= 2 =-
Traditions of Moscow hospitality
The Moscow Historical Museum is presenting an exhibition named "Moscow
Ambassadorial. Traditions of hospitality in the capital". The exhibition is
devoted to centuries-old tradition of Moscow hospitality and is timed to the
80-th anniversary of General industrial and commercial Department of
services of diplomatic Corps of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian
Federation which provides hearty reception and good time for foreign
diplomats in our country. The exhibition is telling us about the life of
foreign representatives in Moscow from XVI up to the beginning of XXI
centuries, about forming and development of the diplomatic etiquette, about
the activities of the Ambassadorial Chamber, the Collegium of Foreign
Affairs, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and discovers pages of diplomatic
and foreign affairs history closely connected with the history of the city.
The exhibition includes about 600 exhibits located in 7 halls, most of them
are exhibited for the first time. A special hall of the exhibition is
devoted to the most honorable kind of diplomatic reception, Ambassadorial
dinner, where one can see a variety of menu, decoration of the table of
XVII - XX centuries.

The State Historical Museum
Addres: Moscow, 1/2, Red Square
Direction: metro stations 'Okhotny Ryad', 'Teatralnaya', 'Ploshchad
Revolutsii'
Phones: (095) 292-4019, 292-3731
URL: http://www.shm.ru
E-mail: shm@shm.ru


-= 3 =-
At the State Museum of Fine Arts by name of A.S. Pushkin
Since September 7, 2001, in hall 23 of the State Museum of Fine Arts by name
of A.S. Pushkin the picture by Thomas Ganesborough "Landscape with a
Woodcutter" has been exhibited. It comes from the collection of the Museum
of Fine Arts, Huston, USA. Thomas Ganesborough (1727 - 1788) had been one of
the founders of the British landscape school which was formed in the second
half of XVIII century. Ganesborough had admitted that though his main
occupation was the portrait, he received more pleasure working at landscape.
The picture "Landscape with a Woodcutter" was painted in early '176s and was
one of the brightest embodiments of Ganesborough's landscape style.
Ganesborough paid special attention to the play of light and shade and
texture of the object as well. His broad brush and free painting manner
exposed the difference of the English painter from the commonly accepted
style on the Continent at that period. Ganesborough had created a great many
landscape canvases, however he was lead not so much by his observations on
the life of nature, as by his inner feelings and his own perception of the
surrounding world.

The Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts
Addres: Moscow, 12, Ulitsa Volkchonka
Direction: metro station 'Kropotinskaya'
Phones: (095) 203-9578, 203-7998, 203-7412
URL: www.museum.ru/gmii
E-mail: finearts@gmii.museum.ru


-= 4 =-
An exhibition of the collection of Russian art
The Tretyakov Art Gallery is opening its exhibition season. On September 14
there will be the opening day of the exhibition of the collection of the
legendary harp-player Vera Dulova, willed to the Tretyakov Art Gallery by
her. The exhibition "Vera Georgievna Dulova's Gift" is connected with an
important event in the life of the State Tretyakov Gallery. Last year, 2000,
the Museum was granted 58 oil-paintings and engravings willed to the Gallery
by the People's Artist of the USSR, professor of the Moscow Conservatoire,
world famous harp-player Vera Georgievna Dulova. V.G. Dulova (1909 - 2000),
daughter of the famous violinist G.N. Dulov, representative of the ancient
Riurikhovich clan, throughout all her life has been an infatuated lover and
collector of fine arts. Her collection was started in mid'-190s. As time
passed, samples presented and bought by her formed a collection of Russian
art within the boundaries of a whole century, beginning from the '40s of XIX
and up to the '40s of XX centuries. The present exhibition is a tribute of
respect and gratefulness for the memory of V.G. Dulova who had handled her
collection created in her home for long years with love in such a noble way.

The State Tretyakov Gallery
Addres: Moscow, 10, Lavrushinskii Peryulok
Direction: Metro stations: 'Tretyakovskaya' or 'Novokuznetskaya'
Phones: (095) 953-5223
URL: http://www.tretyakov.ru/


-= 5 =-
A.M. Pozdneev's "Oriental collection"
An exhibition "Alexei Matveevich Pozdneev and his Oriental collection" has
opened at the State Museum of Oriental Arts. The exhibition is timed to the
150th anniversary of A.M. Pozdneev (1851-1920), a leading Orientalist and
collector of Oriental antiquities. The exhibition features 60 works of art
from the Central and South-Eastern Asia donated by the scientist to the
Museum in 1918. Primary subjects in the exposition are ritual objects
originating from China, Mongolia, Buryatia, Thailand and Japan, aged from100
to 500 years. A.M. Pozdneev has written dozens of papers devoted to history,
philology, ethnography, religion, and economy of Oriental countries. The
scientist who dedicated many years to the study of the Kalmucks, Buryats,
and Mongolians, was the author of the first chrestomathy of Kalmuck
literature and epic in Russia. A.M. Pozdneev also compiled a Kalmuck-Russian
dictionary for schoolchildren and translated the New Testament into Kalmuck.
In 1905 he organized courses of Oriental studies, reorganized in 1910 into
Practical Oriental Academy which was headed by A.M. Pozdneev down to the
1917 Revolution.

The State Museum of Oriental Art
Addres: Moscow, 12a, Nikitsky Boulevard
Direction: From Metro Stations Arbatskaya, Tverskaya, Pushkinskaya or
Chekhovskaya, take either trolleybus 15 or 31
Phones: (095) 291-0341, 291-9614, 202-4555


-= 6 =-
Photo-exhibition "In the underwater kingdom"
The State Darwin Museum and the Underwater Photography Center invite you to
visit an exhibition "In the underwater kingdom". According to Jacque-Ives
Cousteau, the corals cover a far larger area on our planet than many people
would expect. The total area of such "forests" is 20 times bigger than that
of Europe. In this world shades reign even at noon; due to peculiar
refraction of light the surroundings look grayish-blue; the motions are
slow, and the colors are fanciful. The objects caught by the camera can not
pose, but they seem to be natural models for a camera. There is something
ethereal in the form of a sponge looming with a sourly wry face, in a big
bulging eye of a red brass, in the moray whose very body is
rapacious-looking. Their freshwater "compatriots" - crucian carps, pikes and
water lilies have not been forgotten by photographers too. Some people
believe that professionalism in underwater imagery in Russia has come off.
Others doubt that. But some just take pictures. Yet the circle of
the"select" is not that restricted. An increasing number of people in Russia
are becoming devoted to underwater photography. Its fans who have recently
founded an association of underwater photographers in Russia organize
regular meetings where they tell others about their trips and distant
voyages, about their achievements and failures. The exhibition "In the
underwater kingdom" displays works by several members of this association.

The State Darwin Museum
Addres: Moscow, 57, Vavilova street
Direction: Nearest metro station: Akademicheskaya. Or take trolleybus 39 or
14 from metro stations Universitet or Leninskii Prospect
Phones: (095) 135-6124, 135-3382, 132-1047
URL: http://www.darwin.museum.ru
E-mail: darwin@museum.ru


-= 7 =-
William Broomfield. 30 years in Russia
The USA Embassy and the Museum of Architecture named after A.V. Schusev
present an exhibition "Russian North. Evidence by William Broomfield". A
professor of Slavonic studies at Tulane University in New Orleans, the
author of several books devoted to Russian architecture, William Broomfield
spent 6 years in Russia in total since his first visit to this country in
the summer of 1970. His remarkable work resulted in over 90 thousand photos
of architectural monuments and scenery taken in different parts of Russia
from Karelia and Murmansk region to Vladivostok. The major part of this
collection is kept at the National Gallery of Art in Washington. The
exhibition at the Museum of Architecture consists of 6 sections: Kizhma,
Vologda and its environments, Kizhi, Velikij Novgorod , Kargopolie and
Solovki. Academically rigorous and detached, these black-and-white photos,
according to the author, are not just a statement, but are also pieces of
poetry and art and a protest against the inexcusable negligence of
architectural masterpieces which fall into decay year after year.

The State Reseach Museum of Architecture named after A.B.Schusev
Addres: Moscow, 5, Vozdvizshenka str.
Phones: (095) 290-4855, 290-0551
URL: www.muar.ru
E-mail: muar@isa.ru, SCHUSEV@MUAR.RU


-= 8 =-
Devoted to the 95-th anniversary of D. Nalbandian
An exhibition of works by People's Artist of the USSR Dmitry Nalbandian
(1906 - 1993) has been opened in the Central exhibition hall "Manezh" under
the patronage of Cultural Committee of the Moscow Government, with the
Embassy of Armenia in Russian Federation and "Ararat" association taking
part. Having started his activities as a multiplier artist of State Cinema
industry Committee of Georgia, by 1931 Nalbandian became famous in Moscow as
master of uniform portrait. For almost half a century he had painted soviet
party and state officials, scientists and military leaders. He had been the
only one who painted Stalin from nature. This time Nalbandian appears at the
exhibition not only as one of the best representatives of soviet official
art, author of large historical canvases, portrait painter of politicians
and public figures of various countries of the world. The visitors will also
see bright landscapes and colorful pictures of still life. 60 canvases from
the family collection have been presented by the artist's sister, Margarita
Nalbandian, 15 more pictures have been brought from his workshop-museum.

The "Manezh" Central Exhibition Hall
Addres: Moscow, 1, Manezhnaya Ploshad
Phones: (095) 291-6568, 202-9304
E-mail: art-manege@manege.ru


-= 9 =-
Valeri Sirovsky's exhibition "Temple_City"
The opening ceremony of exhibition "Temple_City" by Valeri Sirovsky has
taken place at the Moscow House of Photography. A photo program "24", Yuri
Avaakumov's curatorial project, is a simple model of a modern museum with
constantly rotated expositions and regularly updated collections. "24" is an
exhibition presenting 24 photos devoted to the architectural and
town-planning arts, taken by a contemporary photographer, architect or
artist. The exhibitions take place at the State Museum of Architecture in
Vozdvizhenka street (for the first year) and at the Moscow House of
Photography (for the second year). A new exposition is opened on the fourth
Tuesday of every month. Four photos from the display replenish the Museum's
collection and four photographic postcards are sold at the Museum's kiosk.
This two-year project which can be subsequently extended also provides for
organization of an overall exhibition displaying new entries. V. Sirovsky's
show is the 15th exhibition organized in the framework of this project.
Valeri Sirovsky is an artist. Born in 1939, he graduated from the Institute
of Foreign Languages in 1965. From 1965 to 1978 Sirovsky worked at "Mosfilm"
as an assistant director, having also screened in "Red Tent" and other films
directed by Kalatozov, Ryazanov and Daneliya. His photos, drawings, articles
and caricatures were published in "USSR Decorative Art", "Ogonyok" and other
periodicals. In 1983 Sirovsky borrowed a camera from a friend of his, an
Italian actor, and over 2 days took 700 photos of the "cemetery" of
discarded Italian dolls (this collection ceased to exist a long time ago).
After that he did not deal with photography for a long time, having only got
back to it in 2000 "to fix on the film the things which have been arresting
his attention all his life".

Moscow House of Photography
Addres: Moscow, 16, Ostozhenka
Phones: (095) 202-7612
URL: www.mdf.ru
E-mail: fotofest@cityline.ru


-= 10 =-
"Dead Epoch" by Eugeny Ukhanlev
An exposition of the series "They have worked in Hermitage" has been opened
in the State Hermitage. It includes 30 engravings and paintings which are
the most representative demonstration of Eugeny Iljich Ukhanlev's creative
work. It is the first personal exhibition of Eugeny Ukhanlev, People's
Artist of Russia, member of Heraldic Counsil of President of Russian
Federation in the Hermitage. This is the artist's jubilee year. The
exhibition starts with early works of the artist: small landscape sketches
which have survived only by chance. They were made while the artist was in
prison in Vorkhuta. Eugeny Ukhanlev's individual manner is based upon his
ability to penetrate into innermost life of the surrounding world. Each work
by this artist is an original and mysterious realm. He has occupied a
special place among the artistic generation who have brought new features
into Saint Petersburg's art of the second half of XX century. His
contribution is essential and indispensable. Sketches of heraldic works by
the artist add to the Hermitage exposition.

The State Hermitage
Addres: Saint-Peterburg, 34-36, Dvortsovaya Nabarezhnaya
Direction: From "Nevsky Prospect" metro station, take any of the following:
bus 7, 10; tram 31; troll. 1, 7, 9, 10
Phones: (812) 311-3601, 110-9604, 110-9601
URL: http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/
E-mail: info@hermitage.ru
______________________________________________________

Translated by the ROID Translation Agency (http://www.roid.ru)
______________________________________________________
For use of any material of the Russian Culture News edition the reference
to resource (Information Service "Russian Museums Online"
http://www.museum.ru)
is imperatively needed.
______________________________________________________
Materials:
      send to news@museum.ru
      or by fax (7-095)135-3385
Subscription:
      empty message to rcn-list-subscribe@museum.ru
      to unsubscribe to send the same to rcn-list-unsubscribe@museum.ru
Contacts:
      E-Mail: mail@museum.ru
      phone/fax: (7-095)135-3385
      http://www.museum.ru
Copyright:
      http://www.rchn.org.ru/copyright.htm
______________________________________________________
() All rights reserved.1997-2001. Russian Cultural Heritage Network